How artificial intelligence is powering content personalization and user experience
Artificial Intelligence (or AI) is the current trending topic. It can achieve anything, from algorithms transforming a simple picture into unexpected images to automated virtual assistants responding to almost every question.
When it comes to marketing strategies, AI is not new. In fact, what we now know as Content Personalization is completely based on data and its interpretation to offer the user personalized content. That is content selected especially for them based on their previous interactions.
In this blog, we’ll dig into how AI is taking content personalization to another level and how your brand can benefit from it. Let’s get into it!
What is AI, and how does it work?
AI is everywhere, but let’s learn some basics first. What scientists have done with AI is to improve the agility with which data is stored, sorted and interpreted, thus translating that information into automated actions.
Systems employ various types of Predictive Modeling, which is a statistical approach “that analyzes data patterns to determine future events or outcomes”, according to Clarke and Clarke (2018), resident researchers at Cambridge University.
Now, one of the most important features of newly created AI is the ability to understand, process and produce language, whether it is written or spoken. This, too, is achieved by Predictive Modelling.
Some of these systems use Sentiment Analysis or Topic Modelling. Sentiment Analysis is a dissection of data made to determine if it is positive, neutral or negative, allowing the system to transform this information into quantified and actionable results. While Topic Modelling is a technique that identifies and organizes groups of data sharing common topics, similar to keyword tagging.
AI and Content Personalization
AI-powered content personalization allows businesses to use artificial intelligence to deliver more relevant, personalized content to their customers.
This technology can be applied in many different ways:
- Content personalization: customizing the experience for each customer based on their past behaviour or preferences.
- Recommendation engines: Recommending products that are likely to appeal to specific customers based on what they’ve bought before.
Personalized AI-powered content is not new, but it’s just now that the technology has proven effective. Most of us have surely been in touch with it. There are two main examples of how AI can be used for content personalization:
Personalized product recommendations
Amazon uses AI to recommend products based on what you’ve previously viewed or purchased. This helps customers discover new items they may like based on past interactions.
Automated email campaigns
Email marketing platforms like MailChimp have introduced automated email campaigns allowing marketers to create personalized messages based on customer demographics, location, past behaviours, and interests.
Benefits of AI and Content Personalization
AI-powered content personalization is a powerful tool that helps brands save time, money and reach their audiences more accurately. There’s a large list of benefits; according to Thecnopedia, some of the most remarkable are:
- Increased customer engagement: AI-powered content personalization allows you to deliver personalized messages and offers at the right time.
- Improved customer experience: By providing users with customized experiences based on their needs, preferences and behaviours, your site will become more useful for them, and they’ll be more likely to return.
- Higher ROI: Since it’s more effective than traditional marketing methods like email blasts or banner ads, an AI-based personalization strategy can lead to higher revenue and increase conversion rates.
AI and Content Personalization: How Can Brands Use Them?
56% of customers expect personalized experiences, and 69% expect AI to enhance their experiences, according to Influencer MarketingHub. So, how to start doing it? Here are three main steps to take on:
- Analyze the data. This could include basic information about your customers’ preferences, demographics and purchasing history.
- Create a content strategy based on this data. The goal is to provide customers with content that’s relevant to them and useful for their needs.
- Leverage AI tools like chatbots or chatbot assistants. Tools like Insider, MoEngage, Warmer.ai or Phrasee will allow you to interact with customers without having to spend time manually creating personalized messages for each person individually every time they reach out through social media channels like Twitter or Instagram or your website.
AI is here to stay, and it is up to us to use it in ways that make humanity thrive. Whether in business, health, art, or education, technology keeps finding ways to upgrade the game. Still, some challenges exist, especially regarding data privacy, security and ownership.
If your brand or business is already producing high-quality and engaging content but looking for ways to power it, we can help you with that. Room4 Media specializes in content production for your marketing strategy; if you don’t have a strategy yet, we’ll build it from scratch.